A good qualified intermediary is more than a bank account, more than just a parking space for your cash. Your QI should be fluent in legal, tax and exchange matters, and should work with you to manage the entire exchange process, from start to finish.
Here’s what you should look for when choosing a 1031 QI:
- Segregated bank accounts with dual-signature authorization for disbursements
- Fully transparent, 24/7 visibility into funds’ status and transaction information
- Fidelity bond coverage
- Errors and omissions insurance
- Expert legal team
- Renowned, responsive support and client services team
- Voluntary annual audit of technologies, business practices and operating procedures
Of course, stewarding your exchange funds through the 1031 process securely and transparently is the minimum you should expect, but a good QI should also anticipate your needs, support and serve you at every step along the way.