SVP – Fund Accounting
Founded in 2005, NES Financial is a leading Silicon Valley based Fund Administrator with offices in Rockland, MA and New York City. We serve Private Equity, Venture Capital, Real Estate and other private funds, providing fund accounting, treasury, and investor services.
The SVP, Head of Fund Accounting will report to the Executive in charge of the Fund Administration business and support the growing Administration team, with a focus on back office operations, efficiency and future planning for rapid scalability. This will be a critical role providing leadership within the group and horizontally with other business unit leaders. The incumbent will also play a critical role in effectively growing the Fund Accounting business, providing strategic coordination with cross-functional businesses and providing direction for product and technology solutions.
In addition to providing senior leadership to bi-coastal teams the incumbent should possess a willingness to manage as well as to participate in a hands-on way.
- Provide overall direction to department managers and subordinate staff to assure synchronized teamwork that accomplishes yearly and quarterly financial and operations goals and objectives.
- Experience developing and managing to organization specific metrics:
- Provide corporate leadership and direction in regards to Fund Accounting capabilities, staffing, technology and client deployments.
- Work closely and cross-functionally with other group executives and employees to achieve corporate objectives.
- Represent Fund Accounting business for compliance audit plan development and execution.
- Ensure process and procedures are adequate to meet quality/compliance standards and are consistently applied and regularly reviewed within department.
- Provide support for and effectively communicate broad overall company initiatives and goals to managers and staff within span of control.
- Responsible for developing department budget and staffing projections. Complete staffing proposals for newly awarded business.
- Participate in new business process including review of proposals, prospect presentations, staffing allocations, etc.
- Ensure ongoing delivery of high quality service levels to a group of global private equity clients. Ensure strong operational and management control of accounting, valuation and general administration for a complex range of fund structures.
- Pro-actively assess client requirements. Manage business issues firmly and constructively while developing and maintaining good client relations.
- Ensure all fund net asset values (NAVs) are calculated according to agreed client procedures and timetables and that required controls are in place and adhered to.
- Co-ordinate the accurate and timely provision of non-daily services to clients including month-end reporting, compliance reviews, expense budgets, expense reviews and payments.
- Ensure service is provided in line with client service level agreements (SLAs) and regulatory requirements and is in accordance with agreed operating procedures.
- Co-ordination of new client/new business take-on.
- Co-ordinate with business development to win new business and to prepare for new clients and new funds being launched by existing clients.
- Ensure sufficient staff resources, expertise, systems, procedures and controls are in place to properly service all new business.
- 10+ years of progressive Finance/Accounting experience in the financial services industry with keen strategic and management skills. State Street experience is a plus.
- CPA (standing or former).
- Extensive work experience in the funds administration business.
- Knowledge of private equity and real estate funds and complex waterfall calculations, recapitalizations, transfers, and foreign capital taxation issues.
- Ability to think strategically with a high focus on controls and risk mitigation.
- Strong analytical, business partnership, influencing, prioritization, project management and consensus building.
- Ability to execute and drive results with cross functional teams and to work confidently and develop and maintain strong relationships with finance, business partners and other groups within the organization.
- Strong Aptitude in Technology and management of large scale initiatives.
- Demonstrated problem solving skills with a focus on accuracy and efficiency.
- Ability to identify, define and execute process improvement opportunities.
- Capable of producing high quality and final work product and solutions under strict management deadline.
- Technical knowledge of complex fund structures including master-feeder, REITS and non-REITS, the regulation of these vehicles, investment management methods and fund accounting/valuation methods including NAV calculation, income distribution/equalization, performance fee calculation methods and compliance monitoring.
- Understanding of operational and reputation risks inherent in the fund administration business and the management/operational control environment required in managing these risks.
- Strong presentation and communication skills.
- Ability to manage, mentor, develop and motivate personnel while building a first class organization.
- Degree in Finance, Accounting, or Economics. MBA or advanced degree a plus.